Sunday, December 11, 2005

Just keep breathing

Yesterday on channel 5..I watched castaway again..for the second time. But then I realized that watching a film that I watched like 5 years ago, the feeling I get is really different.

The same lines that touched me the last time still touched me, but this time only deeper, and I probably can understand it better.

Ok..so for all those who didn't watch it..this is a synopsis... So in the show Tom Hanks stars as Chuck Noland, a FedEx systems engineer whose personal and professional life are ruled by the clock. His fast-paced career takes him, often at a moment's notice, to far-flung locales - and away from his girlfriend Kelly, played by Helen Hunt. Chuck's manic existence abruptly ends when, after a plane crash, he becomes isolated on a remote island - cast away into the most desolate environment imaginable.

Stripped of the conveniences of everyday life, he first must meet the basic needs of survival, including water, food and shelter. Chuck, the consummate problem solver, eventually figures out how to sustain himself physically.

After four years, fate gives Chuck a chance to fight his way back to civilization, only to find an unexpected emotional challenge greater than all the earlier physical ones. And this is when Chuck begins his true personal journey.His ability to persevere and to hope are a product of his life-changing experience.

And I think the part that really touched me was when he came back to civilization and realized that he was truly castaway by all the people that mattered to him, esp his ex-girlfriend, who moved on with her life and married someone else.

When he realized that, he told his friend...

He said while he was at the island, he was about to give up and kill himself, but he told himself to just keep breathing. And 4 years later, one morning the tide brought in a sail, and he could use the sail to build a boat and leave the island.

So this time, even though he had to lose his girlfriend all over again, he said,

"But it's ok, cos this time I know what to do.
I just gotta keep breathing.
Because tomorrow morning the sun will rise again, and who knows what the tide will bring in this time. "

Ok..I realized that it sounds very un-moving written out this way. Maybe it's cos Tom Hanks has those very emotional eyes with brimming tears..plus his quivering emotional voice..yarh...makes it that much more emotional and moving.

But that aside. It's true. There's hope everywhere in the world.
Just keep breathing.
Just keep breathing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home